Last Updated: 09 November 2021
Where “SkyLearner” is used it refers to SkyLearner Aviation Limited, of 55-59 Adelaide Street, Belfast, United Kingdom. BT2 8FE. Where “SkyLearner Service” is used it refers to all services offered through the online platform at skylearneraviation.com.
If you have general questions about your account or how to contact the helpdesk for assistance, please visit our online help section HERE. For questions specifically about this Privacy Statement, or our use of your personal information, cookies or similar technologies, please contact our helpdesk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The data controller of your personal information is SkyLearner Aviation Limited. Please note that if you contact us to assist you, for your safety and ours we may need to authenticate your identity before fulfilling your request.
Collection of Information
We receive and store information about you such as:
- Information you provide to us: We collect information you provide to us which includes:
- your name, email address, address or postal code, payment method(s), and telephone number. We collect this information in a number of ways, including when you enter it while using our service, interact with our customer service, or participate in surveys or marketing promotions;
- information when you choose to provide ratings, taste preferences, account settings (including preferences set in the “Account” section of our website), or otherwise provide information to us through our service or elsewhere.
- Information we collect automatically: We collect information about you and your use of our service, your interactions with us and our advertising, as well as information regarding your network, network devices, and your computer or other SkyLearner Service compatible devices you might use to access our service (such as gaming systems, smart TVs, mobile devices and other web browsing devices). This information includes:
- your activity on the SkyLearner service, such as course selections, courses you have accessed, and search queries;
- your interactions with our emails and texts, and with our messages through push and online messaging channels;
- details of your interactions with our staff and team, such as the date, time and reason for contacting us, transcripts or minutes of any chat / video conversations, and if you call us, your phone number and call recordings;
- device IDs or other unique identifiers, including for your network devices, and devices that are SkyLearner Service compatible on your Wi-Fi network;
- resettable device identifiers (also known as advertising identifiers), such as those on mobile devices, tablets, and streaming media devices that include such identifiers (see the “Cookies and Internet Advertising” section below for more information);
- device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information including type (wifi, cellular), statistics on page views, referring source (for example, referral URLs), IP address (which may tell us your general location), browser and standard web server log information;
- Information from partners: We collect information from other companies with whom you have a relationship (“Partners”). These Partners might include: your internet service provider; mobile phone carriers or other companies who provide services to you and collect payment for the SkyLearner service for distribution to us or provide pre-paid promotions for the SkyLearner service. The information Partners provide us varies depending on the nature of the Partner services, and may include:
- search queries and commands applicable to SkyLearner that you make through voice assistant platforms;
- service activation information such as your email address or other contact information;
- IP addresses, device IDs or other unique identifiers, as well as associated pre-paid promotion, billing and user interface information, that support user authentication, the SkyLearner service registration experience, Partner payment processing, and the presentation of SkyLearner content to you through portions of the Partner user interface.
- Information from other sources: We also obtain information from other sources. We protect this information according to the practices described in this Privacy Statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These sources vary over time, but could include:
- service providers that help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize our service and for other uses consistent with this Privacy Statement;
- security service providers who provide us with information to secure our systems, prevent fraud and help us protect the security of SkyLearner user accounts;
- payment service providers who provide us with payment or balance information, or updates to that information, based on their relationship with you;
- online and offline data providers, from which we obtain aggregated demographic, interest based and online advertising related data;
- publicly-available sources such as publicly available posts on social media platforms and information available through public databases associating IP addresses with internet service providers (ISPs).
Use of Information
We use information to provide, analyse, administer, enhance and personalise our services and marketing efforts, to manage subscriber referrals, to process your registration, your orders and your payments, and to communicate with you on these and other topics. For example, we use such information to:
- determine your general geographic location, provide localised information and possibly content, provide you with customised and personalised recommendations for courses we think will be of interest to you, determine your ISP to support network troubleshooting for you (we also use aggregated ISP information for operational and business purposes), and help us quickly and efficiently respond to inquiries and requests;
- coordinate with Partners on making the SkyLearner service available to subscribers and providing information to non subscribers about the availability of the SkyLearner service, based on the specific relationship you have with the Partner;
- secure our systems, prevent fraud and help us protect the security of SkyLearner user accounts;
- analyze and understand our audience, improve our service (including our user interface experiences and service performance) and optimize content selection, recommendation algorithms and delivery;
Disclosure of Information
We disclose your information for certain purposes and to third parties, as described below:
- Service Providers: We use other companies, agents or contractors (“Service Providers”) to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with the provision of services to you. For example, we engage Service Providers to provide marketing, advertising, communications, security, infrastructure and IT services, to customize, personalise and optimise our service, to provide bank account or balance information, to process credit card transactions or other payment methods, to provide customer service, to analyse and enhance data (including data about users’ interactions with our service), and to process and administer consumer surveys. In the course of providing such services, these Service Providers may have access to your personal or other information. We do not authorise them to use or disclose your personal information except in connection with providing their services (which includes maintaining and improving their services).
- Partners: As described above, you may have a relationship with one or more of our Partners, in which case we may share certain information with them in order to coordinate with them on providing the SkyLearner service to subscribers and providing information about the availability of the SkyLearner service. For example, depending on what Partner services you use, we may share information:
- in order to facilitate Partner pre-paid promotions or collection of payment for the SkyLearner service for distribution to us;
- so that content and features available on the SkyLearner service can be suggested to you in the Partner’s user interface. For subscribers, these suggestions are part of the SkyLearner service and may include customised and personalised course and content recommendations.
- Promotional offers: We may offer joint promotions or programs that, in order for your participation, will require us to share your information with third parties. In fulfilling these types of promotions, we may share your name and other information in connection with fulfilling the incentive. Please note that these third parties are responsible for their own privacy practices.
You may also choose to disclose your information in the following ways:
- certain portions of our service may contain a tool which gives you the option to share information by email, text message and social or other sharing applications, using the clients and applications on your smart device;
- social plugins and similar technologies allow you to share information.
Access to Account and Profiles
- “Remember me” function: For ease of access to your account, you can use the “Remember me on this device” function when you log in to the website. This function uses technology that enables us to provide faster account access and to help administer the SkyLearner service without requiring reentry of any password or other user identification when your browser revisits the service.
- Giving others access to your account: If you share or otherwise allow others to have access to your account you will be violating the terms and conditions of use. Also be aware that, others will be able to see courses and content you have accessed, ratings, and account information (including your email address or other information in the “Account & Training File” area of our website).
- Profiles: Profiles allow users to have a distinct, personalised SkyLearner experience, built around the content relevant and of interest to them. Please note that only one profile is allowed per account.
- Removing faster access to your SkyLearner account: To remove faster access through the storage of user account email and password you should delete all cookies and password information related to the SkyLearner system in your compatible web browser or app. It is important to realise this may require deletion on every device in which this feature has been used.
Email and Text Messages. If you no longer want to receive certain communications from us via email or text message, simply click the “unsubscribe from this communication” at the bottom of any email communication or reply STOP (or as otherwise instructed) to the text message. Please note that you cannot unsubscribe from service-related correspondence from us, such as messages relating to your account transactions.
Push Notifications. You can choose to receive mobile push notifications from SkyLearner. On some device operating systems, you will be automatically enrolled in the notifications. If you subsequently decide you no longer wish to receive these notifications, you can use your mobile device’s settings functionality to turn them off. We also offer push notifications on certain web browsers. If you agree to receive those notifications and subsequently decide you no longer wish to receive these notifications, you can use your browser’s settings to turn them off.
WhatsApp. You may receive WhatsApp messages in connection with your SkyLearner account or Service and no longer wish to receive them, you can use your WhatsApp app settings to block them.
Interest-Based Ads. Interest-based ads are online ads that are tailored to your likely interests based on your use of various apps and websites across the Internet. If you are using a browser, then cookies and web beacons can be used to collect information to help determine your likely interests. If you are using a mobile device, tablet, or other browsing device that includes a resettable device identifier, then that identifier can be used to help determine your likely interests. For your choices about interest-based ads from SkyLearner, please see the “Cookies and Internet Advertising” section (below).
Matched Identifier Communications. Some third party sites and apps allow us to reach our users with online promotions about our titles and services by sending a privacy protective identifier to the third party. A privacy protective identifier means we convert the original information (such as an email address or phone number) into a value to keep the original information from being revealed. The third party compares the privacy protective identifier to identifiers in its database and there will be a match only if you have used the same identifier (such as an email address) with SkyLearner and the third party. If there is a match, SkyLearner can then choose whether or not to send a given promotional communication to you on that third party site or app, and can optimize and better measure the effectiveness of online advertising. You can opt out of any Marketing Communications by clicking “Unsubscribe from this communication” on any applicable email.
Your Information and Rights
You can request access to your personal information, or correct or update out-of-date or inaccurate personal information we hold about you. You may also request that we delete personal information that we hold about you. Be advised that in accordance with Civil Aviation Regulations which differ depending on the courses and content being accessed, we maybe unable to fulfill this deletion request, but shall delete the information once the minimum legal periods have passed. Example in the United kingdom we store our UK civil aviation records for 5 Years in accordance with out training manual. Please refer to the training manual in the document library for the minimum retention of records.
When you visit the “Account & Training File” portion of our website, where you MAY have the ability to access and update some of the information about your account, including your contact information, your SkyLearner Service payment information, and various related information about your account (such as the content you have viewed and rated). You must be signed in to access the “Account & Training File” section.
If you have a question regarding our privacy practices, please contact our Data Protection Officer/Privacy Office at contacting us. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Please also see the “Your Choices” section of this Privacy Statement for additional choices regarding your information.
You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information; if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time; withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent; you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information (for the UK, the office of the UK Information Commissioner).
We may retain information as required or permitted by applicable laws and regulations, including to honor your choices, for our billing or records purposes and to fulfill the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. We take reasonable measures to destroy or de-identify personal information in a secure manner when it is no longer required.
We use reasonable administrative, logical, physical and managerial measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorised access, use and modification. These measures are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risks of processing your personal information.
Other Websites, Platforms and Applications
You must be at least 18 years of age or older to subscribe to the SkyLearner service. Minors may only use the service with the involvement and approval of a parent or legal guardian.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We will update this Privacy Statement from time to time in response to changing legal, regulatory or operational requirements. We will provide notice of any such changes (including when they will take effect) in accordance with law. Your continued use of the SkyLearner service after any such updates take effect will constitute acknowledgement and (as applicable) acceptance of those changes. If you do not wish to acknowledge or accept any updates to this Privacy Statement, you may cancel your use of the SkyLearner service. To see when this Privacy Statement was last updated, please see the top of the page.
Cookies and Internet Advertising
Cookies and similar technologies, web beacons, and resettable device identifiers
Cookies are small data files that are commonly stored on your device when you browse and use websites and online services. We use other technologies such as browser storage and plugins (e.g., HTML5, IndexedDB, and WebSQL). Like cookies, these other technologies may store small amounts of data on your device. Web beacons (also known as clear gifs or pixel tags) often work in conjunction with cookies. In many cases, declining cookies will impair the effectiveness of web beacons associated with those cookies.
If you use the SkyLearner app on a mobile device, tablet, or browsing device, we may collect a resettable device identifier from your device. Resettable device identifiers (also known as advertising identifiers) are similar to cookies and are found on many mobile devices and tablets (for example, the “Identifier for Advertisers” (or IDFA) on Apple iOS devices and the “Google Advertising ID” on Android devices), and certain streaming media devices. Like cookies, resettable device identifiers are used to make online advertising more relevant and for analytics and optimization purposes.
Why does SkyLearner use these technologies?
We use these types of technologies for various reasons, like making it easy to access our services by remembering you when you return; to provide, analyze, understand and enhance the use of our services; to enforce our terms, prevent fraud; to improve site performance, monitor visitor traffic and actions on our site; and to deliver and tailor our marketing or advertising, and to understand interactions with our emails, marketing, and online ads on third party sites.
- Essential cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide our website or online service. For example, we and our Service Providers may use these cookies to authenticate and identify our members when they use our websites and applications so we can provide our service to them. They also help us to enforce our Terms and Conditions of Use, prevent fraud and maintain the security of our service.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies help us to customize and enhance your online experience with SkyLearner. For example, they help us to remember your preferences and prevent you from needing to re-enter information you previously provided (for example, during subscription activation). We also use these cookies to collect information (such as popular pages, conversion rates, viewing patterns, click-through and other information) about our visitors’ use of the SkyLearner service so that we can enhance and personalize our website and service and conduct market research. Deletion of these types of cookies may result in limited functionality of our service.
- Advertising cookies and resettable device identifiers: These cookies and resettable device identifiers use information about your use of this and other websites and apps, your response to ads and emails, and to deliver ads that are more relevant to you and for analytics and optimization purposes. These types of ads are called “interest-based advertising.” The advertising cookies associated with our service belong to our Service Providers.
In connection with our use of these technologies, some of the websites and apps where we advertise, as well as advertising technology companies that we use to purchase, deliver, optimize, and/or measure our advertisements (collectively “Advertising Partners”), may receive limited information from us as part of our campaign targeting, measurement, and optimization (e.g., steps completed in sign-up and site visit or app open/install information).
Common uses of this type of information are to judge the effectiveness of and optimize ad campaigns, by allowing Advertising Partners to see when someone who saw an ad later signed up for our service. Another common use is to make sure we do not serve ads trying to get individuals to sign up for the SkyLearner service if they are already a SkyLearner user.
SkyLearner uses contractual and technical measures designed to prevent Advertising Partners from accessing information regarding specific title selections you make, URLs you land on, or content you have accessed on our service. We do not share information about title selections or your shows you have watched on our service.
How can I exercise choice regarding these technologies?
To exercise choice regarding cookies
For more information about cookies set through our website, as well as other types of online tracking (including the collection of information by third parties about your online activities over time and across third-party web sites or online services for online interest based advertising), and to exercise choices regarding them, please contact us. At this time, we do not respond to web browser “do not track” signals.
To exercise choice regarding resettable device identifiers
To opt out of interest-based ads from SkyLearner in connection with a resettable device identifier on a mobile device, tablet, or streaming media devices, please configure the appropriate setting on your device (usually found under “privacy” or “ads” in your device’s settings). You may still see SkyLearner ads on your device, but they will not be tailored to your likely interests.
To exercise choice using self-regulatory program resources
SkyLearner supports the following self-regulatory programs, which provide additional privacy choices for interest-based advertising:
To exercise choice regarding other technologies
There are a number of ways to exercise choice regarding technologies that are similar to cookies, such as browser storage and plugins (e.g., HTML5, IndexedDB, and WebSQL). For example, many popular browsers provide the ability to clear browser storage, commonly in the settings or preferences area; see your browser’s help function or support area to learn more. Other technologies, such as Silverlight storage, may be cleared from within the application.
To see the prior version of this policy, please contact us